DTAP street, build server & continuous development
Developing web applications in a professional way
Besides an application framework such as Laravel, you also need a DTAP street to build custom web applications in an efficient manner. DTAP stands for Development, Testing, Acceptance, and Production. It ensure that new functionalities or code changes always end up in the live environment in several controlled phases. The major advantage is that as a client, you can always test first without directly affecting the live web application when making changes.
Taken together, these elements make up the principle of continuous development – maintaining your web application in a secure, efficient way.
How does a build server work?
The build server is an essential part of the DTAP street. It integrates the servers and performs many automated checks on newly added or changed code, resulting in a web application that is of higher quality. The build server also makes it easy to restore old versions (automatically) if necessary. Furthermore, the build server allows you to see exactly which versions of the software are available and which ones are live – including the server they’re on.
Standard quality checks, more grip on code
After every code change, we perform the following standard checks:
- PSR: the general coding standard for PHP
- Automated functional tests to see whether all essential application functionalities still work
- Server configuration: setting up cron jobs and checking software requirements
- Database migration: configuring the database in an automated, correct way
Our build server: Distelli
At Way2Web, we have opted for build server Distelli. For Distelli is a lot more than a build server – it gives us full control over the web application development process. This is what we call DevOps. It allows us to know exactly where and when new versions have been rolled out. We can also restore old versions automatically if checks fail and when new code has been delivered.
Distelli: at-a-glance benefits
- Connects seamlessly with version control, so it’s always clear which version of the code is live where
- Integration with the chat program Slack – we automatically receive chat messages when a new version has been rolled out
- An elegant, visual web interface that significantly speeds up new releases
Are you ready for the next level?
Digital transformation presents fantastic new possibilities and opportunities. Both for our company and yours too. As an IT specialist and entrepreneur, I would like to discuss this further with you, without any obligation, of course. Shall we make an appointment?